The Daily Mail refuses to dial down the crazy. Especially when it comes to “defending” themselves from the Duchess of Sussex’s lawsuit. The Mail published parts of Meghan’s 2018 letter to her father, and instead of just offering an out-of-court settlement and an apology, the Mail is going full-tilt crazy and lobbing all of these bonkers accusations at Meghan regarding her communications, her friends, and more. The latest salvo: the Mail claims they had a right to publish Meghan’s letter to her father because… Meghan had help from Kensington Palace’s communications team in writing the letter. What the what.
Kensington Palace aides helped the Duchess of Sussex write an apparently ‘private’ letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle, court documents claimed today. Meghan Markle is suing Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over an article which reproduced parts of the handwritten letter sent to Mr Markle, 76, in August 2018.
The duchess has claimed the Mail On Sunday publisher breached data protection and copyright laws by revealing extracts from the ‘private and confidential’ letter. But lawyers for ANL have claimed in documents filed at the High Court in London that the letter was not the ‘own intellectual creation’ of the 39-year-old royal. They argue that the Kensington Palace communications team ‘contributed to the writing’ of an electronic draft, which the letter was later ‘copied’ from.
The documents state: ‘It is for the claimant (Meghan) to prove she was the only person who contributed to the writing of the electronic draft. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the defendant (ANL) infers that Jason Knauf and/or others in the Kensington Palace communications team contributed to the writing of the electronic draft. Precisely which parts were the result of such contribution is uniquely known to the Claimant, Jason Knauf and others in the team.’
It comes after it emerged the duchess’s privacy action against ANL will not be heard until autumn next year after being postponed last month for a ‘confidential reason’.
Mr Justice Warby agreed on October 29 to adjourn the trial – which was due to start on January 11 next year – until the autumn following an earlier private hearing. The judge said the private hearing was necessary to protect ‘the confidentiality of the information relied on’ by Meghan in her application to postpone the trial.
The confidential information was said by the judge to be the ‘primary’ reason for the duchess wanting the trial to be adjourned – and ANL did not oppose her application. However, ANL’s lawyers did ask the judge to consider Mr Markle’s situation, saying he is ‘elderly and sick’ and wants and intends to give evidence at trial.
The Mail’s lawyers are introducing a theory that staff “helped” Meghan write the letter, and then the Mail writes a story like this theory has some kind of factual evidence to back it up. Is… is Jason Knauf going to testify on behalf of the Mail? Is he going to stand up in court and say that he and a crack team of Kensington Palace sycophants drafted a letter on a laptop and Meghan merely copied that letter in her own handwriting? Yeah… that seems very strange. Knauf currently works for the Cambridge’s Royal Foundation, but he is still involved in Will and Kate’s offices, in general. While I don’t doubt that it’s the official position of Kensington Palace that Meghan should lose her lawsuit, I also just think that KP will never allow the situation to get that far, where Jason Knauf would testify in court against the Duchess of Sussex.
Plus, I just don’t believe it. I think Meghan probably discussed some of her issues with her father with the KP team, but the letter seems like something she did on her own. Anyway, the stories about the lawsuit are just getting so f–king strange.
Photos courtesy of Avalon Red, Backgrid.
Originally published at https://www.celebitchy.com/689400/the_mail_duchess_meghan_had_help_from_staff_with_the_letter_to_her_toxic_father/ on .